South Hams District Council Tree Office - Tree Procedures

  • To establish if trees are subject to Tree Preservation Orders or arise within Conservation Areas prior to undertaking works, you can quickly answer your enquiry by using our interactive mapping system at: Is my tree protected?. These are based upon the same mapping data we use to answer such enquiries
  • If you wish to report potentially unauthorised works to trees protected to a Tree Preservation Order, within a Conservation Area or subject to planning conditions, please complete the online reporting form at: Report a potential breach
  • Requests for the potential serving of new Tree Preservation Orders against trees of merit which you feel may be at risk of felling or inappropriate pruning should be made here: Request a provisional Tree Preservation Order
  • For general enquiries relating to Tree Preservation Orders and trees in a Conservation Area and the application process for works to protected trees, please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Dangerous trees alongside footpaths and highways and trees suspected to be infected with ash dieback situated alongside footpaths and highways are generally not within the jurisdiction of South Hams District or West Devon Borough Councils and are mostly the responsibility of Devon County Council Highways. You can report a problem here:
  • For an update on a current application for works to protected trees, please search online using the application reference number or site address at: Tree works application update
  • Trees on private land are ultimately the responsibility of the landowner, including those on private land suspected of being infected with ash dieback. The SHDC/WDBC Council Tree Officer does not provide comments or general advice on tree maintenance for trees on private land. Advice should be sought from a tree surgeon or similar professional. There is useful advice on how to find a fully insured, fully qualified tree surgeon via the following link: Arboricultural Association - Find a Professional